Pages widget

30 May 2011

Birthday thoughts

I spent my Saturday afternoon having a lovely cup of tea with my father-in-law whose birthday it is today. I know that some people are not desperately keen on celebrating birthdays (and he is in this group this year) but I love them! I think birthdays are a chance to get together with those you love and spend the day just how you'd like to... and when my life is so busy running our family around this day becomes really special to me (though I confess a few well thought out presents do help too!) So I made him a card that was as subtle as I can be! He spends a lot of time in Lyme Regis so that was my starting point. I bought a map of the UK and cut out an area near Lyme Regis (which was predictably near the binding of the map!) and also a section of sea. 
I used my Styled Labels die cut with my trusty Vagabond and used numbers from Tim's Grungeboard Mixed Minis which I coloured the edges with Silver Paint Dabber and covered with more of the map paper. When dry I cut the numbers out and covered them with a light touch of Glossy Accents just to give them a slight sheen. I cut a piece of acetate to size, adhered the map (Lyme Regis on the front, sea inside - all lined up so they were all neat!), we all signed the sea label and then I glued the numbers on the front. I made a coordinating tag but forgot to photograph that! A huge and heartfelt 'happy birthday' to my father-in-law - I hope you have a wonderful day and that it is spent doing just what you fancy!
Gabrielle x

3 comments:

Kaz Hall said...

I love this card gabrielle, I think your father inlaw will too......gorgeous x

kazx

Lou said...

wow a great idea and a beautiful card :)

craftytrog said...

What a fabulous card Gabrielle! I bet your fil loved it!
Alison x