Pages widget

16 September 2011

A non-girlie flower!

Apologies for launching into a story about the loos at work but I bumped into a colleague this week who was bemoaning the awful lighting in there as it showed how old she was becoming. She's a lovely lady who doesn't look anywhere near as old as she is and so I was inspired to make her a tag using a Creative Expressions stamp from the Wrinkles Don't Hurt set. Now this lady lives with lots of boys (husband and children!) and by her own admission has 
lost a lot of her girliness and so I wanted to give her a 'masculine' flower to show that flowers are not always to be avoided! Both tags are on white card cut using a large and small die with my trusty Vagabond! I put Worn Lipstick, Victorian Velvet and Tattered Rose Distress Inks on my craft mat and swiped them through the ink. The colour was gorgeous but a little too gaudy for the recipient so I toned it down by applying a thin layer of Picket Fence Distress Stain over the 
top. The smaller tag was stamped with the sentiment in Jet Black Archival Ink. I used a Wendy Vecchi leaf art part and drew round it onto a piece of coloured paper and then used Frayed Burlap Distress Stain over the top. The flower was three pieces of Grungepaper cut to shape. The first large flower was covered in Victorian Velvet Distress Stain with Picket Fence Distress Stain on the top (makes a lovely lavender colour!), the second large one two coats of Victorian 
Velvet Distress Stain, the third smaller flower was inked with Worn Lipstick and Picket Fence Distress Stains. The centre is part of a watch mechanism (because the sentiment mentions 'time') and a small brad. I didn't have a matching ribbon so I inked a white ribbon with Victorian Velvet Distress Stain and waited patiently (with a heat gun in my hand!) for it to dry! I added a little sneaky girlie bling to the ribbon and that was that! 
My colleague is chuffed with the tag and next time I make her a tag I'll graduate to a properly girlie flower - I think she can handle it! Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend. Gabrielle x

4 comments:

Helen said...

What a pretty tag and a lovely thing to do for your colleague! Have a good weekend.

Kaz Hall said...

Oooooo how is it I never bump into lovely peeps like you in the loos!!!Gorgeous tag gabrielle xx
kazx

hazel said...

This is a beautiful tag Gabrielle and a lovely thing to do for your colleague.
xxx Hazel.

Alison said...

A lovely, thoughtful gift for your colleague Gabrielle!
Just wondering if you'll be at the stamp show at The Alexandra Palace this coming weekend. Hazel & I are going on saturday.
Alison x