Pages widget

18 March 2012

Happy Mother's Day

I am very lucky. I have a lovely Mum. She's so incredibly supportive and really very, very lovely. We don't see each other as often as we'd like as we now live quite far away but we email, text and phone when we have news (however small!) and somehow the distance doesn't seem a problem! So I thought I'd make her something a little different by way of a Mother's Day card. I used the larger of the two Matchbook dies and cut out a grungepaper matchbook.
I then covered both sides with Vintage Photo Distress Stain and dried. The outside I covered with a rough layer of clear embossing powder and rubbed Black Soot Distress Ink into the pits left and a little in areas on the inside to create a more 'worn' look. I made a grungepaper flower (painted with Orchid paint), sanded and edged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The leaves were painted with Limelight paint. 
For the papers on the inside I used some PaperArtsy papers (Rum and Raison), scuffed the edges and added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to them. The middle page I turned round so there was contrast between the pages. 
I used two off cuts of fences from other projects (I really don't waste anything!), painted them with Snowflake Fresco Finish paint, die cut two little birds and painted them with Beach Hut and Orchid paints. 
The grungepaper Butterfly was painted with Moonlight and Orchid paints using a mask. I sanded the butterfly and added a sentiment printed on my computer before lightly covering the whole piece with clear embossing powder. The large ticket was inked the same way as the cover but I added the sentiment before embossing. A little flower finishes it off. I hope Mum likes her alternative to a card. I loved making it and think I might be persuaded to make a few more...! If you are a Mum, whether you spend today with your child or not, Happy Mother's Day x
Signature

8 comments:

Helen said...

Really beautiful, Gabrielle and your Mum will love it. Have a good Mother's Day yourself - hope you get breakfast in bed (although I hate that, the crumbs go everywhere...) hope you get spoilt rotten then!

Belinda Basson said...

What a lovely idea for a card. I really can't wait for our shipment of Timmy stuff to arrive now, we really are tail end charlies down here!

CraftygasheadZo said...

What a stunning project, love this. Was very lucky as Keagan made me a cup of tea in bed, and brought me up his pressies and card. He's downstairs washing up as I type! Lol Zo xx

Lorinda.C.F said...

Oh, so beautiful and filled with love Gabrielle. Thanks for sharing your process with us as well. Luckily, here in Canada, I have until May to come up with something fabulous for my mommy. xx

Gillian .... said...

What a lovely alternative to a card Gabrielle, really love what you did with this die (on my wish list), bet your mum will love it too. x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Your mum will love it Gabrielle. Love the texture from the embossing powder, looks like leather. Hope you have enjoyed your day. Tracy x

victoria h said...

A wonderful alternative to a card. Happy mother's day to you too x

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, I can't get over how much you fit in that little matchbook. I love it. May have have that die to my stash!