Pages widget

20 March 2012

Industrial Rose

For my final DT piece for Creative Expressions using the Heartfelt Bold Bella Rose set and the corresponding Heartfelt Bella Rose Rose Die Template I decided to be a little adventurous and make it an industrial rose. The idea came when I was walking my dog (affectionately known as She Who Eats Art) and I saw a flower growing through cracks in some concrete - inspiration comes in some funny ways doesn't it?!  
I used kraft card to make all of this and the ATC and Gadget Gears die by Tim Holtz. So I used two shades of brown Distress Ink and a Cogs Mask by That Special Touch to create the background of my ATC. The die cut gears were inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, roughly clear embossed and then I rubbed Black Soot Distress Ink over the top to fit in the pits left behind in the embossing powder - this is a really quick way to create a rusted look. 
The leaves and flower were die cut and inked - the leaves were inked directly using Peeled Paint Distress Ink and the rose stamp was inked with Fired Brick and Peeled Paint Distress Inks and then finished the same way as the cogs. The hand was cut from the mask's packaging and edged with Vintage Photo Distress Ink (I have a stack of this packaging ready to use - I rarely throw anything away!). 
The ticket was one I stamped ages ago using a Tim Holtz stamp but you could use the back of an Adage Ticket! I used the small rosebud stamp, inked with Fired Brick and Peeled Paint Distress Inks, crumpled it up, distressed the edges and added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to it. A few ideaology pieces (Game Spinner, Sprocket Gears and a brad) complete it. Thank you, as always, for stopping by - and I hope you have a terrific week.
Signature

10 comments:

Belinda Basson said...

Yes inspiration can be found anywhere! Love this ATC and the layers you have built here. I also keep the packaging (pack rat that I am) and use for all sorts of things.

Helen said...

I love the contrast of the red rose with the gears and industrial grunge! Great ATC. I have empty packets as well, they fall over every time I sit at my computer at home...!

CraftygasheadZo said...

Love this - love how you've inked into the pits, how the cogs are shadowed and the textures. Lush! Zo xx

hazel said...

This is fabulous Gabrielle. I love the rose growing through the cogs.
xxx Hazel.

TonyR said...

i love this! it is soo 'me' !! i have a passion for rust, flowers and steampunk! xxx

Misty's said...

Another stunning piece! As usual I love every little bit of it.
Michaela xx

Kim Dellow said...

Gorgeous Gabrielle, love the steampunk look :) Kim

Siobhan Fyffe said...

Steampunk and roses - it looks fab Gabrielle...!!
Siobhan x

sue law said...

Great ATC Gabrielle, I love the pointy finger too....very monty python.
Sue
x

Kitty said...

Lovely, one for SWEA , if you hadn't have been taking her out you wouldn't have made this piece of art!