Pages widget

23 June 2012

Angel of the South

This is, unintentionally, my Angel of the South. I say unintentionally because that was what David called it when he saw it! If you don't know why he named it this you might want to check out Antony Gormley's fabulous statue! You can see what he means don't you?!
Anyway, I'd had this idea for ages and an enforced trip to the shops to take Tom robot shopping (!) meant I could purchase my manikin and put my plans into action! I have also taken full advantage of the latest Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge which is show some brown! Hardly a problem for me! I used PaperArtsy's Chocolate Pudding and Beach Hut paints along with Gold Paint Dabber. I added Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Powder on highlighted areas, sanded some places and rubbed Vintage Photo Distress Ink into them. 
The ribbon was dyed with Vintage Photo and Peacock Feather Distress Inks and the bauble, pin and key were left over from when I went to Tim's ArtsyCrafts (I have been saving them for such a project! And yes, I still have a few bits to go...!) I also added a few stamped sections of text. As a final touch I added some Chit Chat stickers to the chest and the fabulous rusty wings. I think this might be one of those pieces you keep revisiting... I've suddenly got the urge to add a crown... I'll see if it passes before I do anything rash!
I would like to take the opportunity to wish the fabulous Linda Elbourne well in her new career! This challenge was her last for Simon Says Stamp and, having met her a few times, I know she will make a terrific landlady - I'm hoping to stop by for a pint when you're settled Linda! Hope you're having a great weekend and, as always, thanks for stopping by!
Signature
Edit: I am absolutely thrilled to say that the DT at Simon Says Stamp chose this to be in their top three. Thank you to all for your encouragement x 

17 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, this is gorgeous. Love the title...you've had a more productive day than me, for sure!!

yoursartfully said...

I love this, I do, I do, I do!!!

Lin x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous Gabrielle, love your Angel of the South. Love the texture from the embossing powder and the chit chat sticker and wings. Love the colour and paints. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show,Challenge. Tracy x

Gillian .... said...

V. cool Gabrielle, love the aged/rusty effect. xx

Misty's said...

Hi Gabrielle
This is really something! Love the way you brought a lifeless manikin to live! Love the way you dressed it. I do not know if it is the whole body language of the manikin but it shows a certain personality.
Michaela xx

Jo said...

LOVE THIS (I'm shouting with excitement), it is so gorgeous, the colours work so well together, all the rusty bits brig it all together in a true homage to that one up north (which is magnificent I have to say). Will he / she be going on a roundabout in MK? Jo xx

hazel said...

Your Angel of the South is amazing Gabrielle, I love everything about it.
xxx Hazel.

Redanne said...

He is beautiful and very aptly named too. Love the way he is standing, I think AG could use him as a prototype to make a full size statue!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh Gabrielle -- Aren't I lucky to have just been able to use Internet for a little while here in Nice (!!), and to see your blog entry. So many familiar goodies on this lovely angel -- GREAT STUFF!! So fun! Sorry, haven't been on Twitter lately cos we're "on the road" again; will catch up with everyone asap.
Love - Sally xo

Candy C said...

Gabrielle...your angel of the south is really cool! Aptly named ... and beautifully done! Love your techniques you've done to achieve such cool texture and rusty, aged effects! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

CraftygasheadZo said...

Cor blimey missus this is so far out of comfy box it's unreal but super amazing! Things like this never even cross my mind, but boy do you do it good. Love how you've added small but oh so effective things to it. Great work! Zo xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How fantastic, it's a great idea.

Monique's art said...

awesome idea, might have to steal it, I've got to try this sometime

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the way you decorated your drawing mannequin. Congratulations on winning at SSS. Blessings!

Belinda Basson said...

So nice to see your name on Wednesday winners over at SSS! Had to rush over and congratulate you!

kittychater said...

Well words fail me (yes they do!). Your angel is breathtaking. Huge congrats am so proud of you.

Dragon said...

OOOO you clever girl you. That is fabulous and congrats
Love and light
Frankie
xx