Pages widget

25 June 2012

Olympic fever

It is sports mad Zo's turn to choose the theme for Crafty Boots this time and she chose... (drum roll please)... 'Sport'!!! Eek! I don't really watch much sport. I like F1 and I occasionally catch a little football when David's watching Liverpool but I wouldn't switch on the TV and turn on a sporting event. So, what to do? I thought that I might use the Olympics as my muse and this is what I made...! It was one of those projects which didn't quite go to plan!
I originally sprayed the Art Parts with Dylusions sprays but I didn't like the effects as the project progressed and so I painted the Art Parts and backing card with Nougat Fresco Finish paint. I then sanded the sections and edged it all with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. The backing card was stamped with Tim Holtz's Wood stamp. 
The Olympic rings were made by running a Stickles lid into various colours of paint and making circles (this was so satisfying!). I made the numbers by die cutting Grungepaper with my Word Play die and then painting, sanding and edging as before. I then adhered them so they overlapped giving a little more interest. 
The whole idea of the piece was to make it look shabby and it looks pretty shabby in real life! Hope you feel inspired to join in with the Sport theme this time and if you need more inspiration why not pop along to the blog and see what the rest of the incredibly talented DT have made!
Signature

13 comments:

Helen said...

Love your hanging, fellow teamie, and thanks for inspiring me to eventually(!) come up with an idea for mine!!

Sarah said...

An amazing project Gabrielle!

Sarah x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool, that's a fabulous creation.

Dee's Craft Room said...

Hi Gabrielle

I love the wood and metal effects you have created here, this looks fab.

I had an idea using the Olympic rings but I could not think how to make them but now you have inspired me and I may do my card later in the week, thank you.

Dionne xx

Misty's said...

Hi Gabrielle
This is another great piece. So realistic looking again. It is almost like you carved it out of a block of wood. Love the splash of colour with those olympic rings too.
Michaela xx

Redanne said...

Loving the Olympics theme and the splash of colour with the circles. Love the distressing on the art parts too, looks like real wood. A lovely piece of art and so topical! Crafty hugs, Anne x

CraftygasheadZo said...

I love it! From the effect of the paint to the numbers and rings, see you can do Sport, and very well too! Take care lovely! Zo xx

CraftyDaffy said...

Wow, this is really lovely! The grungy, woody look is fantastic. The whole feel/tone of it is great. xx Denise

Belinda Basson said...

funny how some things just don;t go in the direction in which you had planned...that's life and art for you!

Gillian .... said...

Love how it turned out, the washed wood effect from the PA paints look fab, another brill project Gabrielle. x

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! x

TonyR said...

worthy of an olympic medal!!
i believe you are in the 100 metres craft dash!? hehe
c,")
tony xx

hazel said...

A wonderful creation Gabrielle.
xxx Hazel.

Monique's art said...

wow stunning work