Pages widget

2 April 2015

April

Ooh! It's my fourth month of Kate Crane's Art Journal Calendar challenge for 2015! I think I might have said this before, but I am really enjoying participating in the monthly Art Journal Calendar challenge. I seem to spend the month before coming up with ideas and then having great fun attempting to turn the idea into a reality! 

I had spotted Lin Brown’s flower being brilliantly used by just about everyone and it occurred to me that it had 5 larger petals... April has 30 days so that’s 6 flower heads! In March, I went to the stamp show in Stevenage specially to buy it (and, of course, meet up with crafty friends!) and whilst there found the stamp I wanted to use for May’s pages so it was quite a trip! For this page I covered some of my vintage book pages in Chalk paint and stamped six flower heads and two jugs. I then covered more book paper in green paint and then stamped six stalks, moving the stalk on my acrylic block so that I had two bending to the left, right and straight up! I debated whether to paint the outlines of my petals and in fact left the flower heads for a week before finally deciding to leave them plain. I think the black and white flowers (and jugs) are really effective against the colourful background. 
The background is Lin’s Bougainvillea pink with a little Chalk and Beach Hut. The contrast colour I chose is Tangerine Twist (what a fabulous name!) and I used one of Wendy Vecchi’s stencils. It’s my birthday this month and so that’s what the arrow signifies! I LOVE birthdays and so am looking forward to filling in that petal! I am so very pleased with this page – hope you like it too! I have noticed that the last three months have featured pink so I need to challenge myself and try a different colour next month...!
Signature

5 comments:

Helen said...

What a fabulous idea to use that gorgeous flower as the space for your calendar entries (hope you keep your writing s and mall neat...by which I mean I'd be rubbish!) the whole page is just fantastic.

snazzyoriginal said...

Brilliant idea, love the black and white against your beautiful background x

yoursartfully said...

Such a clever idea Gabrielle.

Lin x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So wonderful, fantastic spring feeling.

Kirsten said...

Gorgeous calendar page.